Share your stories, share your feelings. Inspire your peers and get inspired by your peers investment network on Invest Ripple

Like SouthWest airlines in US, WestJet is also a point-to-point airlines with non-unionized workforce. When most major airlines are losing money, WestJet is always profitable with its niche strategy. Now it announced dividend increase by 20%. Although the earnings missed the expectation, I still think it's a good stock that worth to invest in the long run.
Agreed. SouthWest has always been used as the model case study for revolutionary strategy in airline industry. WestJet is the SouthWest in Canada. Its strategy will make it a good investment in the long run.
WestJet may have lots of challenges this year with depreciating loonie and tough winter.
#Westjet passenger traffic increased 6.5%, but capacity increased 7.1% in April. Thus load factor is down. It will take delivery of more planes this year. When airlines increase capacity, it would see short term load factor decreases as passenger traffic may increase at a slower pace.
#WestJet profit beats estimate. Tax recovery offset the impact from weaker loonie. The company announced share buy back plan for up to 2 million shares. I'm optimistic on $WJA.
The above content is only my personal opinion. You are solely responsibile for your investment decisions.
Sunny said...

#WestJet profit beats estimate. Tax recovery offset the impact from weaker loonie. The company announced share buy back plan for up to 2 million shares. I'm optimistic on $WJA.

Why Air Canada increased 4% with competitor's good news?
Jack Nelon said...

Why Air Canada increased 4% with competitor's good news?

It's all about load factor. Air Canada report record load factor 83.3% yesterday. Its traffic increase (9%) is more than capacity increase (7.5%). While WestJet is opposite. Its load factor fell to 83.1% because its capacity increased more than its traffic. Therefore, investors are more optimistic on Air Canada.
WestJet flew 1.6 million passengers in May, up 5.1% from last year. The load factor increasing to 79%, up from 78.5% in May of 2013.
The above content is only my personal opinion. You are solely responsibile for your investment decisions.
Westjet reported net profit of $51.8 million in the quarter, better than expected. Higher ticket prices helped to boost the profit. However, I think all airline profit may drop in the near term due to the frequent flight accidents recently. The demand may drop temporarily as people may be concerned to fly. And the cost may rise as airlines take extra cautions on safety.

Westjet also announced it will buy 5 Bombardier Q400 planes. Good news for Bombardier!
WestJet starts to charge domestic customers for the first bag. Both WestJet and Air Canada stocks are up because investors think they can make more money. What about unhappy customers? I guess we have no voice in duopoly industy.
WestJet reports 9.2% increase in revenue. However, investors don't like CEO's commitment to low fares and send the shares down.

I was just regretting missing the buying point for WestJet. Maybe the next one will come soon Smile
Attachments
Westjet pilots vote in favor of new contract. Westjet's pilots are not unionized, but belong to an association. It seems that Westjet works well with the association
Westjet reported record Q4 profit of $90.7 million, 34% increase from Q4 in 2013. And it increased dividend to $0.14/share.
How come I hear the same story about Westjet again and again that they increase capacity more than traffic?
Attachments
Now it posted profit. Why the stock start the downward rollercoaster ride then?
Attachments